(2006-08-28) Carlos’ Network Explorer
Posted by Jorge on 2006-08-28
Carlos created a tool called "Network Explorer". It is still in beta I guess (or even alpha), but here you can read a few words about it.
What is it?:
- A tool (GUI) that allows you to view the configuration of your AD. The following can be viewed with this tool:
- Forest and domain structure including DNS names of the forest and domains
- Number of domains in the forests
- The number of sites in the forest
- The GCs in the forest
- The DCs in the forest hosting the forest wide FSMOs
- For each domain:
- The domain controllers in the domain including replication information like:
- The sites where each domain is located
- All the GCs in the domain
- The DCs in the domain hosting the domain wide FSMOs
- For each domain controller in a domain:
- Its DNS name
- The OS of the DC
- The IP address of the DC
- The site the DC is in
- If it hosts the GC role or not
- The partitions (NCs) hosted by the DC
- Its replication metadata like:
- Inbound and outbound connections
- Replication from/to
- Transport type of the CO
- If it is a auto/manual CO
- Replication errors
- Replication partners and the partitions replicated from those partners including other metadata
- Metadata for a specified object as it is stored on that particular replica (like REPADMIN /SHOWOBJMETA)
- The following would be welcome as new features/adjustments:
- Ability to refresh the view of the configuration if changes have been made in AD. Now you will need to restart the tool
- Ability to export the information, maybe into XML format
- It crops the different panes in a strange way that some information may not be visible at all
- Adding the additional TCP/IP settings like DNS, WINS, etc. to "The IP address of the DC"
- Removal of the three TABS when a DC is selected as those TABS don’t do anything
- "Replicate to" column for the inbound connections when replication information is selected should be "Replication from"
- "Attribute Version" from the object metadata should be "Originating Change Time"
- "Originating Change Time" from the object metadata should be "Attribute Version"
- And it still contains bugs which would need to be removed (like: it crashes when a DC is not available)
- It displays incorrect information for domains other than the forest root domain
- I’m wondering if it contacts each and every single DC in the forest to query for its DC specific information…
- It does not show replication errors correctly when compared with REPADMIN /SHOWREPL
Some screenshots so you guys can what I’m talking about….
Is it free and downloadable?:
- About the free part… I don’t know. But I know for sure it is not downloadable as it is not production stable yet
Where can you start begging?:
* This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights!
* Always evaluate/test yourself before using/implementing this!
* DISCLAIMER: https://jorgequestforknowledge.wordpress.com/disclaimer/
############### Jorge’s Quest For Knowledge #############
######### http://JorgeQuestForKnowledge.wordpress.com/ ########